Whether you’re just hosting Thanksgiving for your immediate family or having a small get together, these creamy, cheesy scalloped potatoes are sure to be the perfect side dish.
Here’s what you will need:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 sprig of thyme or 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 lb russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz cheddar or parmesan cheese
Here’s what you will do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a skillet, add butter, onion, garlic and thyme and sautè for about 1-2 minutes. Do not let the garlic burn.
- Add cream, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg to skillet. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer cream mixture to a Dutch oven.
- Add potatoes to the cream mixture. Cover Dutch oven and adjust heat temperature to a simmer. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Transfer to baking dish and add cheese. Bake until potato mixture is bubbling around the sides and the top is golden brown. Add toppings if desired (ex: bacon, panko, chives)
- Let cool before serving and enjoy!